Computing and network security is paramount in the development of Miami University’s information technology initiatives. Liability and responsibility issues must be considered at each and every planning juncture. Risk, Security and Compliance is a critical venture for IT Services and provides a much-needed resource to the university community regarding data and network security.
Our services include the following:
- Consulting and Security Assessments:
- As new systems and capabilities appear, it is necessary to ensure that they will not compromise the existing security architecture. This office is charged with reviewing and in some cases approving these systems.
- Rules of the Road:
- The Rules of the Road handbook is a guide to information security as it relates to both personal computing and your use of information at work. The information contained in this handbook will help keep you and the university more secure.
- Compliance Review:
- Miami University manages information which is protected by FERPA, GLBA and HIPAA regulations. As part of this office's mission, there is continuous review of the environment to ensure that the provisions of these regulations are met.
- Policy Review:
- Policies, as they relate to Information Security and Information Protection, are periodically examined.
- Security Infrastructure:
- Risk, Security, and Compliance participates in the planning of infrastructural changes and improvements to ensure that the security architecture is protected.
- Incident Response:
- Depending upon the type of event, Risk, Security, and Compliance may become involved to ensure University security policies are adhered to throughout.
- Security Awareness:
- As part of the office's mandate, Information Security Awareness courses are planned and scheduled for the year.