Social Security Number
In the U.S. a Social Security number (SSN) is a nine-digit number used to report your wages to the government and to determine eligibility for Social Security benefits. If you are employed in the U.S., you need a Social Security number to work.
- Students in F-1 status are eligible for Social Security numbers provided they have obtained an on-campus job. F-1 students automatically have permission to work on-campus.
- Students in J-1 status are eligible for Social Security numbers provided they have obtained an on-campus job. J-1 students do not automatically have permission to work on campus and must request authorization from ISSS
A SSN is not needed to obtain an Ohio driver’s license or Ohio state ID.
Applying for a Social Security Number
In order to apply for a Social Security Number, F-1 and J-1 students need to:
- Be registered at Miami full-time
- Undergraduate students: 12 credits
- Graduate students: 9 credits
- Have offer of employment
The Social Security Administration requires the following items in order to apply for a Social Security Number:
- Valid Passport
- Entry stamp in passport and I-94 card information. Visit www.cbp.gov/I94 to retrieve your I-94 card number.
- Current I-20 or DS-2019
- Job Offer Letter from Miami
- Confirmation of Student Appointment Letter OR
- Graduate Assistantship Offer Letter
- ISSS Letter of Eligibility
- Go to InterLink at https://ioffice.muohio.edu
- Log in using your Miami Unique ID and password
- Click on the Student Services Tab (located on the Menu)
- Complete the e-form “Social Security Eligibility Letter Request”
- You will be notified by International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) when your letter is ready for pick-up
- Complete the Form SS-5, which can be downloaded at http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf
How to Get There
The Social Security Administration is not located in Oxford. International students planning to apply for the social security number on their own should visit the Social Security Administration office located at:
6553 Winford Avenue
The Social Security Administration is open M, T, R and F from 9AM to 3PM and on W from 9AM to 12PM.
1st Option: Butler County Regional Transit Authority Bus
1. Get on the Route 3 bus in Oxford: http://butlercountyrta.com/index.php?page=r3
2. Get off at Stop A (Fairfield Crossings)
3. Get on Route 1 bus in Hamilton at Fairfield Crossings: http://butlercountyrta.com/index.php?page=r1
4. Get off at Stop O (Walmart)
5. Walk 1 block North on Winford Ave, Social Security Office will be on your left
2nd Option: Take a taxi
If you would like to take a taxi instead of the BCRTA bus, you can call #:
Oxford taxi: (513)523-9000 OR First Class Transportation: (513)524-0101.