If you need a new entry visa in your passport, you must contact Molly Heidemann three to four weeks before you leave the U.S. For general information on visas, go to: http://travel.state.gov/visa/index.html
To download visa application forms, look at the "nonimmigrant visa application" section at: http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/forms/forms_1342.html
For information on applying for an F-1 visa, go to: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html
For information on applying for a J visa, go to:http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1267.html
Visa Documents for Dependents
Those in F or J visa status who wish to bring dependents to the U.S., must make this request online at https://ioffice.muohio.edu. You must provide evidence that you have at least $4000 for the first dependent and $2000 for each additional dependent.
The dependent must have the following for their visa interview:
- Visa document for the dependent(s)
- copy of the visa document of the principle F-1 or J-1 holder
- proof of finances that is listed on the visa document
- letter from F-1 or J-1 adviser or supervisor, verifying assistantship or employment
- proof of marriage, if for a spouse and birth certificates for the child(ren)
- any ties to the home country (proof of property ownership, strong ties to family, proof of an authorized leave of absence from work, etc.)
Those in F-2 status can not work or go to school. Those in J-2 status can go to school, but must apply for work authorization with the Citizenship and Immigration Service in order to be employed. Those in E-2, L-2, H-4, and TD status can go to school but can not work under any circumstances.
For information about visa documents for dependents, contact Molly Heidemann.
Students and Scholars who hold a nonimmigrant visa status must have the proper documentation when re-entering the United States after a temporary absence (during vacations, short trips home, etc).
Complete your travel signature request online at https://ioffice.muohio.edu at least two weeks before you leave the U.S. If you are in J-1 status and Miami did not issue your DS-2019, you must contact your program sponsor so they can endorse your DS-2019.
Documents needed to re-enter the U.S. are:
- endorsed visa document
- proof of finances that are listed on the visa document
- admission letter (for students) or appointment letter (for scholars)
- print-out of all the classes you've taken at Miami (students only)
- print-out of your registration for the next semester (if you are leaving at the end of a semester)
- graduate students should get a letter from their department verifying their full-time registration
- valid U.S. entry visa that matches your visa document type
Certificates of Enrollment
Certificates of Enrollment are done for students who need them to defer their military duty, for money exchange, family tax purposes, etc. Complete the request online at https://ioffice.muohio.edu.
Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Click here on the OPT Link for more information.
Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
This type of employment can be authorized only if you are earning academic credit for the employment or if it is required for the degree. You must be in full-time student status for one full academic year before you are eligible to apply. No fee required.
To apply for CPT, please submit your CPT Application(pdf) along with a job offer letter and academic advisor letter of support to OIE at least 2 weeks before you plan to start working.