Upham Hall, 240
Oxford, OH 45056
University Distinguished Professor of History; Affiliate of the American Studies Program
- PhD, 1981, Brown University
- MA, 1977, Brown University
- BA, 1976, University of Virginia
North America and British Empire, 1670-1800
- HST 111 Survey of U.S. History
- HST 198 World History since 1500
- AMS/HST 362 Era of the American Revolution
- AMS/HST 363 Early American Republic, 1783-1815
- HST 400 Senior Capstone: Atlantic Slave Trade
- HST 406 Rise of the British Empire
- HST 670 Graduate Colloquium: British Empire
- Love in the Time of Revolution: Transatlantic Literary Radicalism and Historical Change, 1793-1818, University of North Carolina Press for the Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture, Spring 2013.
- "The Authority of the Imagination in an Age of Wonder," (SHEAR Presidential Address), Journal of the Early Republic 33.1 (Spring 2013).
- The American Midwest: An Interpretive Encyclopedia, ed. Richard Sisson, Christian Zacher and Andrew Cayton, Indiana University Press, 2007.
- The Dominion of War: Empire and Liberty in North America, 1500-2000, with Fred Anderson, Viking, 2005.
- Ohio: The History of a People, The Ohio State University Press, 2002.
- The American Midwest: Essays on Regional History, edited with Susan Gray, Indiana University Press, 2001.
- Contact Points: American Frontiers from the Mohawk Valley to the Mississippi, edited with Fredrika J. Teute, University of North Carolina Press for the Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture, 1998.
- Frontier Indiana, Indiana University Press, 1996.
- The Midwest and the Nation: Rethinking the History of an American Region, with Peter S. Onuf, Indiana University Press, 1990.
- The Frontier Republic: Ideology and Politics in the Ohio Country, 1780-1825, Kent State University Press, 1986.
- Fellow, National Humanities Center, Research Triangle, North Carolina, for Imperial America, 1672-1764, September 2012-May 2013.
- President, Society for Historians of the Early American Republic, 2011-2012.
- Distinguished Lecturer, Organization of American Historians, 2009-2014.
- Senior Resident Fellow, Robert H. Smith International Center for Jefferson Studies, Monticello, Virginia, February-March 2009.
- Fellow, Rockefeller Foundation Study and Conference Center, Bellagio, Italy, May 2002.
- John Adams Professor of American Studies, Leiden University, the Netherlands, Spring 1999. Fulbright Commission.
- Class of 1997 Outstanding Teacher Award, Associated Student Government, Miami University, 1997.
- Outstanding Teacher Award, Ohio Academy of History, 1993.
Dr. Cayton teaches courses in the history of 18th century North America and the British Empire. His current research project is Imperial America, 1672-1764 (with Fred Anderson of the University of Colorado, Boulder), a volume in The Oxford History of the United States.