114 Shideler Hall
Department of Geology
Ph.D. (2003) University of Illinois @ Chicago
104 Shideler Hall/542 Mosler (Hamilton)
My research interests are in explaining the variation of mineral properties in both natural and synthetic systems. My work is environmental in nature and has primarily focused on phyllosilicates, oxhydroxides, phosphates, metals and industrial minerals in sedimentary systems and geotechnologies. Current specific interests include mineralogical variation of shales in space and time, gold mineralization, rare earth element mineralization, constructed wetlands in the Yucatan for wastewater treatment and interaction of consumer products such as plastic and batteries with geoenvironmental processes. I work extensively with undergraduates and graduate students on numerous projects often involving transmission electron microscopy, scanning electron microscopy and bulk chemistry.
Possible thesis/dissertation topics:
- Transmission electron microscopy (TEM) studies of natural and synthetic minerals
- Environmental mineralogy of urban and disturbed landscapes including industrial settings, suburban settings, tourist settings and mine sites.
- Minerals as catalysts, adsorbents and use in removal of micropollutants from water.
- Environmental and applied investigations of unconventional shale reservoirs.
- Economic geology relating to gold and rare earth element resources.
- Consumer wastes in the environment.
Current/recent graduate student research:
- Heather Barrett (M.S. in progress) - Transmission electron microscopy study of defects in natural and synthetic cryptomelane.
- Michelle Burke (M.S. in progress) - Electron microscopy studies of the gold-quartz interface.
- Joshua Silverstein (M.S. in progress) - Investigations of placer gold deposits of Venezuela.
- Jennifer Miller (M.S., 2013) - An electron microscopy and inductively coupled plasma-mass spectroscopy investigation of Great Miami River Sediment Pollution in the industrialized landscape of Hamilton, Ohio.
- Lulu Jiang (M.S., 2012 in Paper & Chemical Engineering, Co-Advisor with Catherine Almquist) - Catalytic performance and characterization of Zn-doped cryptomelane-type manganese oxide for ethanol oxidation.
- Cynthia Tselepis-Loertscher (M.S., 2011) - Investigation of heterogeneous oxidation of manganese (II) and oxide formation on natural and synthetic goethite.
*LeGalley, E., Krekeler, M.P.S. (2013) A mineralogical and geochemical investigation of street sediment near a coal-fired power plant in Hamilton, Ohio: an example of complex pollution and cause for community health concerns. Environmental Pollution, Vol. 176, 26-35.
*LeGalley, E., Widom, E., Krekeler, M.P.S., Kuentz, D.C. (2013) Chemical and lead isotope constraints on sources of metal pollution in street sediment and lichens in southwest Ohio. Applied Geochemistry, Vol. 32, 195-203.
Krekeler, M.P.S., Aldridge, D. (2012) Some perspectives on progress and problems regarding recycling and waste management by the non-profit organization Centro Ecologico Akumal in the Yucatan: Observation from Akumal Playa, Pueblo Akumal and surrounding regions. A glance at the world column - Journal of Waste Management. Vol 32, 2563-2564.
Krekeler M.P.S., **Barrett, H.A., Davis, R., *Burnette, C., *Doran, T., *Ferraro, A., *Meyer A. (2012) An investigation of mass and brand diversity in a spent battery recycling collection with an emphasis on spent alkaline batteries: Implications for waste management and future policy concerns. Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 203, 222-226.
*Schellenbach, W.L. and Krekeler, M.P.S. (2012) Mineralogical and geochemical investigations of pyrite-rich mine wate from a kyanite mine in central Virginia with comments on recycling. Environmental Earth Sciences, Vol. 66, 1295-1307.
**Barrett, H.A., *Ferraro, A., *Burnette, C., *Meyer, A.L., Krekeler, M.P.S. (2012) An investigation of heavy metal content from disposable batteries on non-U.S. origin from Butler County, Ohio: An environmental assessment of a segment of a waste stream. Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 206, 414-420.
*Barrett. H.A., **Borkiewicz, O., Krekeler, M.P.S. (2011) An investigation of zincite from spent anodic portions of alkaline batteries: an industrial mineral approach for evaluating stock material for recycling potential. Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 196, 508-513.
*Geise, G., *LeGalley, E., Krekeler, M.P.S. (2011) Mineralogical and Geochemical Investigations for Silicate-rich Mine Waste from a Kyanite Mine in Central Virginia: Implications for Mine Waste Recycling. Environmental Earth Sciences, Vol. 62, 185-196.
Allen, C.S., Krekeler, M.P.S. (2011) Crude oil, petroleum and water discrimination on terrestrial substrates with airborne imaging spectroscopy. Active and Passive Signatures II. Proceedings of the SPIE-The International Society for Optical Engineering 8040: 80400L DOI 10.1117/12.884418.
Allen, C.S., Krekeler, M.P.S. (2010) Reflectance spectra of crude oils and refined petroleum products on a variety of common substrates. Active and Passive Signatures. Proceedings of SPIE-The International Society for Optical Engineering 7687: 7687OL DOI 10.1117/12.852200.
Krekeler, M.P.S., *Calkins, K., **Borkiewicz, O. (2010) Mineralogical and hydrogeologic properties of partially unconsolidated Pleistocene limestone in the east central Yucatan: Implications for the development of subsurface flow constructed wetlands in the region. Carbonates and Evaporites, Vol. 25, 77-86.
Krekeler, M.P.S., Allen, C.S., Kearns, L.E., Maynard, J.B. (2010) An investigation of aspects of mine waste from a kyanite mine, Central Virginia, USA. Environmental Earth Sciences, Vol. 61, 93-106.
Krekeler, M.P.S., and Elmore, S. (2010) Counter weapon containment. US Patent, US 7,662,738 B2 (Final Issue Date: February 16, 2010).
Krekeler, M.P.S., Elmore, S., and **Tselepis, C.M. (2010) Radioactive materials sequestration. US Patent. 34 US 7,647,935 B2. (Final Issue Date: January 19, 2010).
Krekeler, M.P.S., Elmore, S., **Tselepis, C.M. and Stoll, D. (2010) Secondary process for radioactive chloride deweaponization and storage. US Patent. US 7,663,014 B2. (Final Issue Date; February 16, 2010).
Krekeler, M.P.S., Lepp, J.G., **Tselepis, C.M. and Wantz, R.B. (2010) Asbestos containment composition. US Patent. US 7,722,520 B2. (Final Issue Date: May 25, 2010).
*Miami undergraduate student, **Miami graduate student
GLG 111 The Dynamic Earth
GLG 121 Environmental Geology
GLG 311 Geoenvironmental Field Methods
GLG 307 Water and Society
GLG 710 Advanced Mineralogy
For complete descriptions of courses please click here.
Please click here to see Dr. Krekeler's curriculum vita.