Office of General Counsel
215 Roudebush Hall Phone:513.529.6734 Fax:513.529.3911 GeneralCounsel@muohio.edu
The Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) is a 1974 federal law also known as the Buckley Amendment. Although FERPA contains exceptions for the release of “directory information” without a student's prior written consent, students have the right to request that even such directory information not be disclosed.
FERPA gives students the right to:
1. Control the disclosure of their education records to others; and
2. Inspect and review their own education records; and
3. Challenge the content of their education records.
- FERPA Tips for Parents
- FERPA for Faculty & Staff
- FERPA Release (all records)
- FERPA Release (reference request)
- Disclosure of Information From Education Records to Parent (U.S. Department of Education)