711 Island View Circle
Port Hueneme, CA 93041–3447
805 488 9131 (messages only)
Richard D. Erlich
- Emeritus Professor
Professor Erlich retired from Miami University in 2006.
- Ph.D., English, University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, 1971
- M.A., English, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- A.B., English, University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign
- Science fiction & fantasy
- Utopian studies
- Student engagement
- Science fiction & fantasy
- Ursula K. Le Guin
- Frederik Pohl
- SF film
- “Worthy Memorial.” Rev. Frank McConnell. The Science of Fiction and the Fiction of Science: Collected Essays on SF Storytelling and the Gnostic Imagination. Ed. Gary Westfahl. Critical Explorations in Science Fiction and Fantasy 12. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 2009. SFS #112 = 37.3 (November 2010): 523-26.
- Coyote’s Song: The Teaching Stories of Ursula K. Le Guin. Borgo-Wildside Press, 2010. Paperback http://www.wildsidebooks.com.
- “Always Coming Home: Ethnography, unBible, and Utopian Satire.” Paradoxa #21 (2008): 137-166.
- “A Longish Note on Ursula K. Le Guin’s Lavinia. SFS 35 (2008) 349-53.
- Clockworks: A Multimedia Bibliography [i.e., List] of Works Useful for the Study of the Human/Machine Interface in SF. Richard D. Erlich and Thomas P. Dunn, compilers (so the legal attribution; Dunn and Erlich agreed upon “Richard D. Erlich with Thomas P. Dunn”). Assisted by Edward K. Montgomery, Catherine Mills Royer, and D. Scott DeLoach. Westport, CT: Greenwood P, 1993.
- Clockwork Worlds: Mechanized Environments in SF. Richard D. Erlich and Thomas P. Dunn, eds. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1983.
- The Mechanical God: Machines in Science Fiction. Thomas P. Dunn and Richard D. Erlich, eds. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1982.
- “Le Guin and God: Quarreling with the One, Critiquing Pure Reason.” Extrapolation 47.3 (Winter 2006): 351–79. Online at http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb1421/is_3_47/ai_n29323840.
- “Herons, Ringtrees, and Mud: Ursula K. Le Guin’s The Eye of the Heron.” Extrapolation 49.3 (Fall 2002) 314-29. With Diana Perkins [MU undergrad].
- “Beyond Topeka and Thunderdome: Variations on the Comic–Romance Pattern in Recent SF Film.” Science-Fiction Studies, 14 (1987): 316-25. Peter C. Hall and Richard D. Erlich.
- “Ursula K. Le Guin and Arthur C. Clarke on Immanence, Transcendence, and Massacres.” Extrapolation 28 (Summer 1987): 105-29.
- “‘That Old White–Bearded Satan’ (or ‘Sympathy for the Devil’): Outsiders Inside Some Fictive Worlds.” West Virginia Philological Papers, 32 (1986 ), 1-11.
- Coyote’s Song: The Teaching Stories of Ursula K. Le Guin. (1997) Digital publication of the Science Fiction Research Association. http://www.sfra.org/Coyote/CoyoteHome.htm. 2001–2005.
- "Some drug basics for changing times" [guest column]. The Dayton Daily News 7 Jan. 2014.
- “Other people’s work doesn’t get respect either" [guest column on comment by Hilary Rosen on Ann Romney’s not working as a stay-at-home mom]. The Hamilton Journal-News and Middletown Journal 23 April 2012 (Journal-News “Ideas & Voices”: A5).
- “Rational thought, family dinners and Little League.” Hamilton Journal-News 25 Feb. 2011. Middletown Journal 25 Feb. 2011.
- "Forget about having beers with your candidates." Hamilton Journal-News 5 November 2010.
- “Hucksters are preying on your anxiety and guilt.” Middletown Journal 29 October 2010. More exact text with more upscale formatting as “Turn Off; Tune Out—and Stick to Your Shopping Lists”.
- “The dark sides of ‘lifelong learning’ await you.” Middletown Journal 27 August 2010.
- “Prop. 8, marriage and the American state.” The Ventura County Star 22 August 2010: B10.
- “The kids aren’t all right — but neither are they impaired.” Hamilton Journal News 16 July 2010.
- “Are we ready for more casualties in Afghanistan?” Hamilton Journal-News 23 July 2010.
- “Make 18 the age when you get all adult privileges” (editor’s title). Hamilton Journal-News 25 June 2010.
- S. F. Film: http://www.users.muohio.edu/erlichrd/350/.
- Shakespeare and Film: http://www.users.muohio.edu/erlichrd/shax-film2001/
- Tragedy: http://www.users.muohio.edu/erlichrd/eng121asp01/
- Print S.F.: http://www.users.muohio.edu/erlichrd/courseinsf/
- Satiric Film: http://www.users.muohio.edu/erlichrd/satire/
- Frederik Pohl [his site; I’m webmaster]: http://www.frederikpohl.com
- Clockworks 2 wiki: http://www.clockworks2.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
- Clockworks 2 sites: http://www.users.muohio.edu/erlichrd/Clockworks%202/Clock2,%201-4%20(into%202006).htm
- Associate Producer. 6TH FRIEND. Leita Miller, dir., co-script (with Jamie Bernadette). Filming http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2891234/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1.
- Associate Producer. NOSTRUM (vt PSYCHOTICA). Jonathan Wright, dir., script. Toronto: Boutique Films / SuperChannel (TV), 2010.
- Associate Producer. MOST HIGH. Marty Sader, dir., co-script. USA: Second Act Films, 2004.
- Awards: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418903/awards.
Work in Progress
Through 2014 Erlich will remain webmaster for the late author Frederik Pohl. He continues to manage the wiki "Clockworks 2: Supplement to Clockworks: A Multimedia Bibliography of Works Useful for the Study of the Human/Machine Interface in SF." He is retired in Ventura County, CA, where he is does some editing of scholarly texts and works as a film-script analyst in association with the producer Michael Klawitter. He is completing for publication by Wildside Press a collection of most of his blogs on open.salon.com, working title_Views from a Jagged Orbit: Random Thoughts, Dangerous Advice, and Casual Rambles by Richard Erlich_.