Special Education Online Licensure
- About the
- How to
A hybrid learning route to special education licensure
The online special education program is designed for teachers with an initial Ohio teaching license who want to earn an additional license as an intervention specialist for students with mild/moderate disabilities.
- Combines online learning with monthly face-to-face seminars facilitated by university faculty and master teachers.
- Participating teachers earn 24 graduate credits. These credits in combination with a current Ohio teaching license and passage of the PRAXIS II in special education meet Ohio’s requirements for licensure.*
*The State of Ohio requires special educators to have a minimum of 12 credit hours of reading. This program provides 6 credits, so secondary and specialty teachers may need to take an additional 6 credits before qualifying for special education licensure.
- Download a plan of the study course sequence.
- Courses in the special education online program may be applied toward a Master’s Degree in Special Education.
- Admissions to the master’s program is a separate process.
For more information
- For information about Miami’s online special education program, contact Paul Terrill, Jr. at 513-529-4146, M-F 7:30 am – 4:30 pm or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For information on the Ohio licensure process go here.
- Want to know more about special education? Go here.
Occupational Outlook: Special education is a high demand career nationwide
The employment opportunities in special education teaching are expected to grow 21-35% through 2010, an increase of more than 150,000 positions. Go here for more information
How to apply
To apply for the special education online licensure program, submit the following:
- Completed application form, which you can download here
- One letter of recommdation
- Graduate School Application
- Personal essay
Send essay and letters of recommendation to:
Paul Terrill Jr.
210 E. Spring Steet
McGuffey Hall, room 201
Oxford, Ohio 45056
Email or regular mail are both acceptable.
You will receive an email notification when your application file is complete. Applications are reviewed on a monthly basis so you should receive information about your acceptance status within 4-6 weeks.
Questions about the Master’s in Special Education?
Contact: Paul Terrill Jr. at email@example.com or 513-529-4146
The graduate school application is available here.